I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Options 2 or 3 are the best, IMO.

If you repair the crank then take it to someone that knows how to properly insert helicoils. And it needs to be a left threaded helicoil. Some bike shops might not have experience with helicoils nor may they even have a left threaded tap. So if they have to buy the tools, then they'll probably charge you more. So try to find a shop that has done this before and since they'll probably still have the tools it won't cost as much... hopefully. Nor do you really want a noob installing your helicoil.

You might also find a local machine shop or job shop that has experience with helicoils, but they might be more unlikely to have a left threaded tap.

You might find it just as inexpensive to get a new crank if you can find one. Either way you need a left side pedal. Are the people you ordered from going to send you one?

Option 1 you don't want to consider at all unless you always pedal backwards. Normal pedaling will might loosen a right threaded pedal on the left side. I lost the link to a very good motion graphic that explains and shows why.
Hmm, just realized I got the OP backwards and thought the left pedal was the issue with two right pedals.

None of you chastised me for this! What's becoming of BF? Is this some new tolerance for the mistakes of others or are y'all just use to me rambling incoherently about absurd hallucinations I have? <grn>