cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by Bamicus
I gone thru 4 tubes now, mine always fail around the valve, just a few mil away from the stem. Anyone have this problem, or better yet, know a fix? I have old Mavic 622-13 rims, could that be the problem? Thanks
... just seeing this thread...
for potential 'tears/wear' around the presta valve, either from a sharp valve hole, or from issues relating to using a hand pump improperly or floor pump head putting side pressure on valve.
For many years I've been using a buffer shim, made from an old butyl tube, over the valve and surrounding base/tube. From an old, no longer used tube, cut a small section of tube, rectangle or oval (size to your liking - I like about .75 - 1 inch wide, 1 - 1.25" lengthwise). cut a small hole in center, slightly smaller than diameter of valve - small scissors do a fine job - place the tube shim over the valve down at the valve base/tube, narrower side fits rim width... mount tube/tire as normal.
This shim eliminates potential cuts/breaks at valve stem from the rim valve hole - works for butyl or latex tubes.
Also helps reduce the chance of tube tears from manhandling while attempting to pump ... best method to eliminate that is to use proper handling techniques for placing pump head onto valve and using a good supported handling of portable/frame hand pumps when pumping in the field...