Old 11-06-21, 12:39 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think she might be talking of crash or fall scenario and getting poked by the flatbar.

I've been poked by my own flat bar a few times before when I fell on the bike or the bike fell on me. It's unlikely to stab you, unless you crashed hard but poking can be quite painful, cause internal injuries, and can break bones. It's also likely if I'm riding with a group, my flatbar could poke others too in a group spill.

I've never been poked by a drop bar and I've crashed over them a few times. Bar end shifters are just dumb, IMO. Dropbars are noted for that feature and for the most risk-averse riders would likely insist on dropbars.
I think this is as good explanation as any. I have been poked by my swept bars a couple times. I have slid out a bunch of other times with straight bars. One time the bar end poked the road with a fierce thud alright. Would crush ribs like nothing. These bars are way wider too, for interlocking in a peloton.
The solution could be swept bars. They will react like drops in a crash into others. But there's still the levers sticking out, as with straight bars.
But, I don't think it should matter on a cat 4 lollygag mixed ride.

As for some granny/ grandpa interactions, I passed one of each this summer doing centuries on my CCM 3 speed. LOL. Both had tri-level bikes and gear. We were going along together for a few miles, when she said she had done 2 charity cross-country rides, unloaded. How many years ago, I didn't find out. She said her typical ride is 30 miles. Lots more pass me of course.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-06-21 at 12:46 AM.