cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
My doctor made the same suggestion. But I don’t feel limber enough to even start yoga.
You can do it ! Yoga can be for everyone. There are good yoga programs for disabled, for mobility challenged seniors, for limber and lithe young- everyone.
The key is to find a good start class/program. One you can do 'in-person' and focused on beginners.
And instructors present a balanced series of poses, meant to equal effort to poses which provide a balanced session.
The benefits of yoga are not realized so much in the short term, as they are after some consistent, regular 'practice' over time.
I always recommend doing 'in-person' because an instructor can help tailor the 'practice' (name for a session) for what can work for you.
A Key is to not force thru yoga poses. Doing as much as possible, within a safe, comfortable zone (which can be different for everyone) is key.
Better to do them as they are shown, and not reach for a 'goal'. The real goal is overall improvement - Over Time.
If needed, an instructor will show modifications to 'poses', which allow similar effects as the std pose.
Best is to not be self-judgemental, do what you can - it's ok to be kind to yourself.
And maybe, between a weekly class/practice, take a few minutes on some days and do some poses on your own - ok to do the ones you like.
It's always a good time to start yoga. It reaches beyond the physical and will help you feel better about yourself, as well.
Give it good try!
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: Many adult or evening schools offer good yoga programs, as well as gyms and other health facilities. I strongly recommend a beginners program.
Getting into a program for experienced participants can be discouraging, and not well suited to allow beginners to progress. It's OK to question suitability and start slow.

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-09-21 at 04:22 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: