View Single Post
Old 11-10-21, 09:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6283 Post(s)
Liked 4,323 Times in 2,422 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
You ignore the opportunity cost of the time invested in performing the patching and swapping the tube back. Convenience has a cost, and the value of free-time depends on the individual and their situation.
The cost of patch time is minimal. Even at my high hourly rate, patch time doesn’t cost $9. I don’t generally patch on the road and just replace the tube (with a previously patched tube) just like you do. But there are instances where I’ve flatted more than once on a ride. There are instances where I’ve flatted more than 10 times on a ride.

So sure, if I had abundant free time and flatted so often that the cost of tubes caused a discernible disturbance to my finances, then I too might patch vs replace. That's not my situation though and the cost of a tube once or twice a year is immaterial to me.
Count yourself luck then. That 30 patches on a tube above is only one tube. Every tube I own that has been in a tire…and I have a couple of dozen of them on hand right now, in addition to the 30 that are mounted… has at least one patch and most have far more. I’ve flatted on goat heads in every month of the year. Fixing flats is just part of riding here. I know how much a box of 100 patches cost and how long a can of vulcanizing fluid lasts based on experience. That cost estimate I gave above is only for one tube that, granted, was probably silly to patch that many times. But 3 boxes of patches (i.e. 300 patches) and the time involved in fixing the flats is far cheaper than $2700. Ain’t no amount of “convenience” that is worth that much!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: