Old 11-10-21, 11:37 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
time for a replicant frame.
maybe you should apply for a position doing destructive testing to failure while you wait for a replacement frame.
I will make one myself when the time comes. It's heartening to know that the Trek never broke anywhere I did any brazing or modification. Just pretty much everywhere I did not.

Maybe to get my toes wet, I will do a replacement head tube. I will learn something, this way, at least. Sorta ease into framebuilding by doing a couple joints, you know?

Sure, I am not keen on throwing good money after bad, but I don't know. Lots of nice things on this Trek. The Trek is an experiment, a prototype, and a training exercise for me to learn framebuilding on my terms. I am not keen on doing the stuff over (especially the handmade brazed-on front derailleur), given the rest of what I have on my plate.

Head tube won't be that big a deal. I don't think I need a jig, I'll just pin it and check the angles with the digital protractor and go to town.

And yes, the only frame I haven't ridden to failure would be my Ron Cooper. And my tandems, I guess. But do they really count? Does any bike count if you braze it back together?