View Single Post
Old 11-16-21, 03:06 PM
Kenergizer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 1 Post
LeMond's '89 Bottecchia

Sorry it has taken me so long to discover this forum in general and to read through the thread about LeMond's '89 TdF bike. Since I am the owner of the bike that is on display at the Three Oaks, MI bike museum (a must-see museum in a nice little town), I thought I could share some of what I know about the Botticchia on display and the '89 TdF. LeMond raced 5 different bikes in that tour: 2 steel framed red Botticchias, 2 carbon fiber yellow bikes that were re-branded as Botticchias (the team sponsor) and the time trial Bottecchia he rode to win the tour by 8 seconds on the final day. I believe after the tour that year, Greg gave one of the red steel bikes to his trainer, Otto. Otto in turn sold it to a pro baseball player in California, who later sold it to another bike enthusiast who eventually wanted to liquidate to start a new adventure. He advertised it in the classifieds in VeloNews where I saw the add, negotiated a price and (nervously) had it shipped to me in Northwest Indiana. When it arrived, I pumped up the tubular tires, rode it down our circular driveway, turned right on our street then right again at the other end of our driveway and back to where I started, never to be ridden again. The bike has been on display in my basement first then two local bike shops before landing in the Three Oaks bike Museum where it receives the most exposure. When the bike arrived there was no bike computer, but I found one in red like it showed in photos. I also added a bottle cage and a couple of red bottles. Yes, I know the bottle cages don't match yet. The red one should be replaced. The race number was also gone so I laminated one I made up to look like the original. It's not pictured. No other modifications were made to the bike as it came to me. I trust the documentation I have that verifies the authenticity of the bike. I have always wondered what happened to the '89 TT bike. Wouldn't that be a nice addition to a bike collection?