View Single Post
Old 11-17-21, 04:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
[QUOTE=rholland1951;22310286]I had given myself a task for each leg of the ride. Outbound, my task was to take photos of the yellow leaves and the bark on the trees noticed on yesterday's ride, with enough detail to permit identification.A bit of googling to find comparison images strongly suggests that these are Norway Maples, a non-native species introduced in North America as a shade tree in the middle 18th Century, and regarded as an invasive species by the state of New York; the Town of Arlington isn't so keen on it either, and Norway Maples have been removed from public land on several occasions, and replaced by native trees. We have plenty on the Minuteman, though, and I doubt they're going anywhere any time soon.

My task for the inbound leg was to ride the new bike lane at the notorious intersection at Mass. & Appleton, in Arlington, and observe how it and the various other measures that have been installed there are working out in use.Looks pretty good, from one small sample at a busy hour with a low sun. This isn't the long-term solution: that will require a more robust traffic signal. But it's got the drivers' attention, and seems a little more likely to help cyclists transit the intersection intact. One caution: there is a large bump in the bike lane on the inbound side, more or less right in the middle of the intersection; it doesn't look as big on the approach as it feels when you bump into it, so be prepared. It occasioned the Rat Trap Pass's best performance of the day.
/QUOTE]well done! the mighty Maple! that's on the Canadian flag right?

that intersection does look tricky due to no 90 degree angles & that phone pole blocking views. even bright front strobe might not be enough to be seen from that incoming traffic on the right. w/ no lights & dark clothes, you'd be asking for trouble. here's wishing the new design keeps everyone safe
Likes For rumrunn6: