View Single Post
Old 11-21-21, 09:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8327 Post(s)
Liked 9,147 Times in 4,516 Posts
Friend who was life-long runner moved to another state and switched to cycling. Husband bought her a cheap mtb and she began exploring dirt roads in her area. She heard carbon fiber bikes were light so she decided she wanted one. She wrote to me and I explained things as best as I could, including the fact that carbon bikes can also be heavy since my mtb is 32 pounds. She always rides alone and doesn't do much climbing but had to have something lighter. I linked a bunch of nice bikes to her and explained to look for something 2017 or newer if she was going used. (They can afford anything). Eventually she links a 1998 Giant she found and I told her not to buy something that old. She already had it. I tried. Anyway she's been riding it for a year or more and she's happy except for when there is deep gravel.

So recently she heard about gravel bikes and writes to me again. I carefully explain them as best as I can and emphasize their limitations and compromises. She's never ridden a drop bar bike, so I explain that, too. Anyway this goes back and forth for some time until she says something about how gravel bikes must be good in loose gravel and don't slip. No, not as good as a mountain bike, I tell her. "Then what are they good for?" I tried.