View Single Post
Old 11-23-21, 05:11 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,558 Posts
Well, that Trek 620 frameset from steine13 arrived yesterday and I swore I wasn't going to work on it yet. I mean, of course I unboxed it and stuck the frame in the stand but I have plenty of other stuff to do so no wrenching. First thing I noticed is some bubbling rust on the cable guides. Ordinarily I would not want to paint a frame but it looks like the smart thing to do for this one is to intervene before things get too bad.

Then I got the fork out of the box and slapped it in the frame and determined that the Stronglight A9 headset is shot so I'll have to find one of those. I recall them having a very low stack height and don't know what's available this century that fits as well so I'll have to research that when I get some time.

Then I put a wheel in it. Just a rear wheel. Had to spread the dropouts for the 7-speed cassette but that's okay. I'm not going to do anything to it yet. Not a huge amount of clearance with a 30C tire and it looks like my go-to 32C tires will fit, the largest I'd likely use without having to buy new. Might be a little tight with mandatory fenders. '80s clearance, after all.

Might as well take a look at the front tire, too. Even less clearance but that's okay.

And what about that stuck Phil BB; what crank will fit on it? The old Shimano from my ex-RB-T was handy so slipped that on and it looks pretty good. And what about that stuck Phil? How stuck is it? Tried my long Phil wrench, no movement. Tried it with a cheater pipe on the wrench, no movement. The BB seems smooth enough to use that I'd just go ahead and build it if not thinking of painting the frame.

At this point I had to accede to the bride's wishes and finish the door casing in the guest room so we could move on to the next steps of that job so I got out the compressor and brad nailer and got to work. Finished it up pretty quickly and looked at the compressor with its tank at full pressure and thought about the impact wrench. Well, shoot.

Back at the Trek I fitted the compact Phil remover into the fixed cup side and set the rattle gun on it. Brrrp, no movement on Low. Hmmm. Changed to Medium and brrrp, no movement. Hmmmmmmm. Changed to High and...

... ZZZzzzzip!

Moved to the other side and ZZZzzzzipped again.

Threads are good and rust flakes are coming out. Plenty of time to deal with that when I finally do start working on it.

Last edited by thumpism; 11-23-21 at 09:14 PM.
Likes For thumpism: