Old 11-24-21, 02:17 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Early Raleigh Competition Lugs

Originally Posted by daka
As mentioned by juvela , it is likely that a Competition built with Nervex lugs would be an earlier one. I also think that if you saw "73" stamped on the bike somewhere it would more likely be referring to a frame angle than the date on a Raleigh. 1973 was more likely to have a letter that indicated the year in the serial number. And in 1974 they started with the serial number sequence which first had a letter indicated factory location (W=Worksop) followed by the second digit of the year (4 indicating 1974)

It has been mentioned many times that 1973 was the year for Capella lugs at Carlton on bikes that were previously seen with Nervex Professional (International, Super Course). I'm suspicious that there may have been a manufacturing problem at Nervex (broken tooling?) that stopped supply temporarily. I had a Peugeot PX-10 from about that same time that had plain lugs rather than the Nervex one would have expected. Does anyone have information that would support or negate this suspicion of mine?
Please see my notes and link below.

Hey juvela too... hahaha

The Raleigh Competition and Professional models first appeared in 1969 USD catalog. Much later they would be considered Mk I models. Prior to that all of Raleigh's top competitive/sporting bikes were marketed under the Carlton Brand. (don't hold me to these dates but this is what I gleaned from years of researching on the web).

The riders in this 1972 Raleigh catalogue page are both wearing Carlton jerseys. In the 1973 catalog they had Raleigh jerseys.

The first Competitions had chrome plated Nervex Professional lugs plus chrome plated "socks" on the forks and stays. They were advertised as being available in black or "bronze green" (BRG - British Racing Green). In 1969-70 some, most, all had the Raleigh "Heron Anniversary" head badge.

The Competition model wasn't listed in the 1970, 1971 or 1972 US Raleigh catalogs.

In 1971-1972 Competitions were offered in white with light blue trim or lavender with dark blue trim. Raleigh switched to Bocoma medium point Professional lugs. These had 73 stamped into the top head tube lug which meant a 73° angle. They came with a mishmash of components - Zeus, Nervar and Stronglight 93 cranks and so on. It was the height of the Bike Boom Fad and Raleigh used whatever they could get.

Most of of those bikes came with Simplex Prestige derailleurs and Weinmann center pull brakes. The frames were all Reynolds 531 with either forged or stamped Zeus dropouts. Except for the dropouts these Competitions where pretty much the same as some of the Grand Sport bikes from those years. (white and blue or blue and white)

In 1973 the Competition came back in black only as the Mk II. Most had Huret dropouts to go along with the then new Huret Jubilee derailleurs and most came with TA Professional 3 arm cranks. Also some had the same Davis full slopping crowns that Raleigh used Pros. Some Competitions may have had Nervex Pro lugs but many used the Carlton Capella lugs - aka "Birds Eye" lugs - see below...

“In 1959 Carlton reorganized their range. Out went all the various lugs and in came a new style of lug designed for Carlton – the Capella lugs. A new range of models utilizing these lugs were announced and these models – the Catalina, Clubman, Continental and Constellation – were to continue through to 1965.”

Carlton Capella lugs on an early 70's Raleigh Carlton built International.

Huffy imported rebranded Carltons into the US in the 1960's. Capella lugs on a Huffy badged Carlton Constellation.

OK, the rest of the story... for whatever reason, Nervex Pro lugs seem to have become hard to get at the height of the bike boom. Peugeot switched from Nervex Pro lugs to Nervex DuBois lugs around 1972 - the same lugs that Masi used. (see my Peugeot thread link below)

Schwinn switched to Prugnat Type 62bis lugs for a year or so back then too.

The story that I've heard that seems very feasible is that Raleigh found a bunch of old stock Capella lugs at Carlton that dated back to the mid 60's. Being a very frugal company they decided to use them up on the 1973 Competitions! Believe it or don't!

I posted a novella yesterday discussing Nervex lugs on Peugeot PX-10s yesterday. Here's the link:

1972? Peugeot PX-10, frame and fork, head set and bb included

One last thing, I worked on a number of bike boom era Raleigh Competitions BITD... all I can say is the closest a file ever got to one of those frames was at least 25 feet away! They were exceptionally cobby!

Many Raleigh bikes built back then appear to have been brazed up after the yobs suffered a 3 pint lunch!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: