View Single Post
Old 11-30-21, 01:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Oi.

There needs to be a reverse limit .... just like new posters can only make a certain number of posts a day for the first couple, days, only a certain number of replies should be allowed. if this guy ever comes back, I bet he runs away again.

Second .... he got good advice and didn't like it. Further, he came off an un-serious. yeah, we can cut kids some slack, but I don't care if he is 16 or 18 and this is his first real job, or he is 26 and this is just his next job or whatever .... he is old enough to find the site, create and account, log in, and ask a detailed question and the reject his responses with detailed rejection. No need to treat him with kid gloves, or spiked mail gauntlets .... and I for one have not been my usual disrespectful self, nor have I seen others doing so.

Nor am I going to cut a slacker a bunch of slack. Kids need discipline, and they need to know what is expected of them, and be held to those expectations ..... If he wants to post on this forum and then debate the responses, he needs to do his homework first. he is asking us to use the hours we have spent learning stuff to help him, but he isn't willing to do a little research on his own?

Can you define "sense of entitlement"? It doesn't always mean rich kids expecting breaks. Sometimes it is as simple as a young person expecting everything to be done for him or her.

Lots of people have helped me in a lot of ways. I am grateful. I am also glad that I learned to do a little of my own work. Lots of lessons learned that way.

if this guy needs a bike, lights, accessories, a tablet mount, CF wheels, wants immediate delivery, and wants us to tell him where to find all that ..... okay. If he then wants to argue that we are wrong according to the research he Didn't do ....

I don't know .... I know things were a lot different before the Internet, when I had to go to the library and book stores and bike shops and actually Look Stuff Up and Learn Stuff ......

There is a big difference between not knowing much about a subject and not being willing to make any effort to learn. We shall see if this guy makes any sort of effort on his own behalf .... if he does we can have lots more interesting conversations. if not, he can buy one of those Amazon monstrosities which he thinks looks cool.

You realize this is your second overlong discussion of what this guy got wrong?
People accused him of being a troll and lying. That's not treating him politely or respectfully. If you missed that, you're writing a windy defensive post entirely missing the point that "attack the newbie" is too popular around here. He didn't like being called a lying troll. That is a legitimate complaint. No one is claiming that telling him he needs to sort his priorities was impolite, that's actually helpful advice. Why would you see fit to go on so long gratuitously over-explaining that with a bunch of trite "kids today" observations?

Edit thyself first.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-30-21 at 01:50 AM.
Likes For livedarklions: