View Single Post
Old 12-01-21, 04:30 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 253 Posts
Thinking about it more, I think the OP premise of subconcious counter steering is a total crock. LOL. How would you differentiate just plain weaving along?
Looking at the bike rolling without a rider, you see that the bike is doing it all by itself. So unless you are stiff arming at the time, then you just won't think about what's happening. He is correct that it is very hard to ride a straight line on the road very far. I'm lucky if I can go 5 feet, likely because I'm looking down instead of ahead. TdF guys somehow learn to do it far better. Anyway, 99% of the time I'm dodging stuff on the raod. Waggling is what I do often anyway, like on hills. I've also been doing it more, like tacking into the wind. My speedometer says I'm going faster, but probably the actual travel forward is where it would be just going straight.

Plus just go ride a Flying Pidgeon bike with crooked wheels. Then you will see what it actually takes to steer, naturally or NOT. I did this in Chengdu.

As for self propelling, I have seen a video about a Cesna 152 that was idling too fast when the pilot got out to pull the wheel blocks. The plane TOOK OFF. This was in south central valley of California. So the plane was heading west. The pilot was quickly able to get another pilot/ plane to follow it. It flew over 200 miles and thru 2 low cuts in ridges, at a near constant 1,500 feet. It only came back to earth when it ran out of gas 300 yards off the ocean edge. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-01-21 at 06:31 PM.