View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 05:48 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
I doubt that a bike with locked steering could turn without losing traction. I would like to have seen them roll that bike down the hill without a rider. It also might be interesting to see if using a front tire that is much narrower than the rear might help turn where they each might have a different turn radius on edge. Looks like someone with excellent balance could learn to ride the locked steering bike in a straight line though.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think anyone has enough experience with a one-way lockout to know what can and can't be done with such a bike with practice. What your videos demonstrate is that people can train themselves to do feats of balance that might be thought impossible until someone actually does them.. As we know, circus acts are full of such people.
Nope, it'd go in a straight line.
Ex-pro moto racer, writer, and rider coach Keith Code has a demonstrator at his California Superbike School called the "No BS (Body Steering) Bike", which has a second, fixed set of handlebars. Students are instructed to try to make the bike turn using only the fixed bars: The result is that no amount of throwing your weight, pushing up or down, makes the bike turn (the wheel is still free, it just goes in a straight line)
While his philosophy is the subject of debate in moto circles, the bike proves that you have to have some sort of controlled, purposeful steering input into the handlebars, in order to make the bike turn. On a velo, those inputs are slight to the point of imperceptible, unless you're really focusing on it, but on a heavy moto at medium speeds, it requires a much more deliberate and noticieable action.
Likes For Ironfish653: