Old 12-04-21, 12:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by fcriscuo View Post
I just received a new set of Campagnolo Zonda C17 disc brake wheels. Based on the smooth and curved inner rim surface, I assumed that rim strips were not necessary. But the Technical Specifications in the User Manual specifies a 20.5 mm rim strip. I can't see what benefit adding a rim strip might provide. I know this is a very popular wheelset so I would appreciate hearing if other users installed a rim strip. Thanks in advance.
I interpret this as “if you insist on using rim strips, 20.5mm is the widest you should use to avoid interfering with tire installation”. I’ve been running Zonda C17s without rim strips for the last ~10,000 miles. I do have a ~2” piece of rim strip (Velox) spanning the valve hole, to prevent any rubbing at the edge of the hole. Don’t know if this is even necessary, but I don’t see any downside. Otherwise no rim strips, no problems. Nice affordable reasonably light (1560g/pr) Al wheels.