Old 12-04-21, 07:42 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
My bike lust days are over. I recognized the moment it occurred when I could manage to not buy a nice bike that was affordable and in my size. That was a Fuji America, as I recall, and there have been many others in the 30 years since. What I have to consider now is the fact that I'm shrinking in my old age so probably will be getting rid of my tall Paramount Touring and Nishiki Cresta GT, both of them 64cm/25". I recently got a 24" Trek 620 frameset but it will be a while before that gets built up with the bike kit from either my ex-RB-T or my ex-Trek 510.

I don't want a grail bike so much as a grail trait: a touring bike that will not shimmy on descents when loaded with either panniers or a B.O.B. trailer. You'd be surprised at how many do. The 620 might do it; I don't know yet. Maybe I need a Cannondale tourer (canti or caliper brake) or something else with a 33" standover height; 34" is getting to be too tall for me.

All I really need in the fleet is that touring bike and my 3-speed.