View Single Post
Old 12-07-21, 02:45 PM
drdtjohnson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn’t just want to read and ride without adding my own story as found thread s helpful.

60y male fit and active until 18 months ago. 18 months left groin pain gradually getting worse X-ray and u/s . Severe OA both hips, no joint space, a labrum tear and mod tendinopathy at insertion of adductor tendon. Not really able to walk normally and getting on bike tricky but was swimming and cycling up to 40 miles / day up until op.

Now 2 1/2 weeks post op. Op 2,30-4.00 and had a spinal. Don’t remember anything after IV medication. Ward by 5pm so too late foray physio or or evening meal but got tea and toast later. Following morning fainted when turning on zimmer - maybe side effect of medication. Anyway delayed my physio and not discharge until following evening.

Got home and immediately stopped most analgesia - nefopam, NSAIDs and opiates but continued regular paracetamol and oral anticoagulant. We’re 50 steps up from pavement so fair bit of exercise just getting in and out of flat. One week of using crutches indoors and outdoors.. From day one getting out 2-3 times a day walking 1/2 to 1 mile with rest halfway. Moved to cane indoors after a week and pretty much one crutch outdoors but still carrying second in case I get tired or if it’s slippy. Sleeping on back nuisance and waking every 2 hours. Get up walk around bed again and fall asleep fairly quickly. Constipation settled after a week. Don’t like raised toilet seat but it’s only another month.

After just=under 2 weeks tried stationary bike at a gym around the corner. Followed advice on setup after THR on livestrong (so almost feel I got some reward from buying Lances book all those years ago!) Day one 5 mins and day two 10 mins. Thought it would be ok on basis of multiple posts many here. First physio appt 2 weeks post op and after 2 days on bike. Was suggested if possible I go twice a day to gym for 15 mins once for distance and 15 mins once for effort. So today 4km in 15 mins and later on 1km in 6 mins but effort level 15 -20. I’m only pedalling on the operated leg..I asked if they could take a pedal off but not possible.So will do 15 mins x 2 for another 5 days then see physio again. Not sure when I’ll get on road bike yet but not this week.

Got additional exercises from physio which I imagine are standard. I:suspect next week we’ll be with Thera bands and the usual gym machines for leg muscle strengthening. Will be in pool soon but want to be 100% sure that wound has healed ….. looks fine but don’t want to take chance with that.

Thanks to all previous posters, Dave
Likes For drdtjohnson: