Old 12-10-21, 02:17 PM
Rusty Peters

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I don't expect anyone to "call me out" as I have no beef with anyone...I bought a custom bike for many thousands of dollars and took delivery. Within a very short time, the bicycle exhibited very rejectionable noise. After several trips to the LBS without any success at reducing the noise, I decided to run some experiments myself. As a result, I was able to affect the presence of the noise by removing one of the sleeves altogether. I ordered the alternate assemblies (Praxis, Chris King), as my wife and several friends have the same bike but with the Praxis (default) BB without any reported issues. I am now using the Chris King assembly (as a test) and am in the process of making a warranty claim with the bike manufacturer on the Ceramicspeed factory-upgrade for which I expect a modest sum refunded to me. My claim is not with Ceramicspeed. They ostensibly make excellent products and I have merely identified qualitative aspects of their design implementation that appear to be either the source or a contributor to the noise I am experiencing.

Of note, the metallic anti seize grease is what was used by OEM, and was visible upon initial removal. Also, anti seize compound is a grease but with suspended metallic to prevent galvanic corrosion. Additionally, the Chris King instruction explicitly recommends an anti-seize compound. The only other difference with CK BB is recommended torque to 50N-m vs 40N-m.

Note CS works perfectly when one half sleeves removed (per above).

I have no beef with CS - only sharing the results of my testing as it may assist others or at least serve as an interesting thread.
What ever became of the warranty claim? Have you been able to quiet the bike down. I believe we are dealing with a BB shell flex issue more than a bottom bracket issue. I could be wrong.....