Old 12-20-21, 01:15 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So wait--you've managed to ride this touring bike with this bent axle long enough that it's causing the wear of other parts, and this is something the OP should be super-vigilant about and expect will cause him to imminently swap out the back wheel?

Thanks for the lecture, but I think you just proved it's not something that should be high on the OP's list of concerns.
Oh, aren't you clever! I never once said it was a safety issue - that's you moving the goal posts because you can't admit you don't know what you are talking about. Bent axles and broken spokes (common failures on bikes) are generally able to safely get you home after they happen. This doesn't mean that they aren't part failures.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. You should stop trying to give answers to people on this topic.

For clarity: I weigh 240lbs. The axle on my Shimano XT freehub bent while riding my touring bike, primarily on paved roads. OP weighs 320 lbs, is getting a bike with less expensive, likely less durable hubs, and will be riding God-only-knows where.

My wheel is currently disassembled because I was having trouble keeping the bearings adjusted - they kept developing play, so I popped it apart and found the axle was bent and the cones wearing unevenly, but have not had a chance to install my new axle and cones.

And, once more - you have no idea what you are talking about. Give up, answer questions in another forum, but don't come here and criticize others' answers when you are so clearly clueless.