Old 12-20-21, 02:49 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
You are truly missing the point. The OP has a bike that they can ride. They should ride it, and enjoy it, while watching for issues, like we all should. The OP has been advised to keep an eye on the wheels, and have them serviced, spoked tensioned properly, after riding it a while. I had mine done when I bought it, because I wanted to get them most out of what were machine made rims. The OP can safely ride their bike though, as long as they keep any eye on things, and have them serviced if it becomes an issue.

The point is to encourage the OP to ride their bike. Yes, things may wear, or break with time, but the bike is safe to ride. Lets not take the joy out of the OP's new bike, and activity, that would be pointless, and detrimental.
Thanks for the response, but you're wrong. All answers (with a few oddball exceptions) stated "it'll be fine but watch out for the following..."

And the recommendation for if any of those following things should occur? "that happens sometimes,, just get a new one". Nobody said 'axles may bend, so don't bother riding'

I don't know how much experience you have designing and building bikes for, or being, a Clydesdale (heavier) cyclist, but these are the things that come up all the time. The solution many have landed on is to encourage, but include some cautions about possible pitfalls, and explain that they are easy to overcome. The main obstacle to a Clydesdale is not frame and component failure, but becoming discouraged, and surprise mechanical failures, or unnoticed mechanical problems that increase drag and wear and therefore make riding less rewarding, are a very likely source of discouragement, so we think it's worth mentioning them when asked. OP realizes they are bigger than average and may have problems less common among lightweights, and sugar coating and glossing over potential pitfalls is not doing them any favours.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: