Old 12-23-21, 10:02 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Salmon-colored pads from the major brake pad vendors seem to grip well, especially in wet weather, but I am recalling that Kool-Stop advised that the black compound is grippier than the salmon compound in dry conditions.

And, with respect to squealing, the higher the grip, the greater tendency for the overall setup to squeal under any particular conditions of humidity, all else being equal of course.

An especially good combo emerges with pads having the salmon compound in the "leading" or rearward-facing direction, and with the black compound facing in the forward direction, thus achieving a better balance of braking power and resistance to squealing. This is better than using toe-into achieve the same end, because the lever feel will be firmer and because there will be less need (if any) for the pads to be re-toed as the pads wear flat to the rim.

I fitted Kool-Stop dual-compound "MTB" pads to my 1964 Varsity after finding every other kind of pads (including salmon) to feel squishy and weak on the long-reaching, old Weinmann calipers (gripping half-anodized MA40 rims).
Braking was suddenly more than acceptably responsive!

Last edited by dddd; 12-23-21 at 10:09 AM.