View Single Post
Old 12-24-21, 09:54 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
There are no particular cities that are causing problems, it is all cities in general. turn by turn instructions are getting really long and it simply seems an impractical way to go about navigating through a city. If a specific city is needed, use Chicago or Milwaukee as examples. Coming down from Green Bay or coming up from Gary (haven't decided yet).
Well you are going through some major areas so some planning work is required if you want a good safe route with fewer cars. That will most likely incur many turns. It's not like wide open Wyoming where there are only a few roads and not many cars. If you want fewer turns and probably a shorter route, you very well may have a lot more and faster traffic. It's a trade-off.

That said, for those cities, use Google Maps showing the bike routes mode. When I created my routes from Chicago to Door County, the routes extensively used bike paths and signed bike routes between Chicago and Sheboygan making the cue sheet surprising relatively simple for such congested areas. I would say a simple cue sheet would be under 1 typed page between Kenosha and Chicago once you put your route together. That is not bad considering the congestion. I strongly prefer quieter or safer roads so if I have to do longer cue sheet that is fine.

As other have suggested, you can always take a train (roll bike on and off) from Milwaukee to Chicago or anyplace in between if you find there are too many turns for your liking. Also, when there are lots of turns, this is when a GPS or phone make things a lot easier but I too enjoy paper maps.

Tailwinds, John