View Single Post
Old 12-26-21, 11:59 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I ran the black plastic Hunt Wilde bar tape (or, something equally "pro") that came on my late 70's Schwinn, aka "most ridden" hooptie bike" until I had to eventually replace it because it had numerous edge breaks in it, and it looked and felt like it might asplode at any moment, or on any outing. I had even rewrapped the bottom half, below the brake lever, with slightly newer, scavenged tape, tape, which meant I squeezed another year or two of riding out of the wrapping. "Is it great tape?"... "no". But there was a very satisfying self pride thing happening, knowing that I'd worn the tape "smooth" in most used hand positions. I'd say there was an equal amount of gross sloughed hand skin, dried sweat, leavings as experienced with what could be found under decade old cloth bar tape, so I think that consideration aspect is a coin toss. Whatever is found under old bar tape, no matter what the original composition of said bar tape, it's a given that it's going to be 113% grossness. So, take this as a contrarian view, based more on a personal stubbornness, wabi-sabi mindset to a fault, planet savior agenda sorta person, that is diametrically opposed to any aesthetics considerations other viewpoints have offered.
Likes For uncle uncle: