View Single Post
Old 12-30-21, 05:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 3,060 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I'll agree with this. I got a new pair of winter shoes for Christmas (45NRTH Ragnarok) and they are the stiffest cycling shoes I've ever used. Despite using SPD cleats, I would never want to walk very far in these shoes - they're far too stiff to walk much distance.
I've been using similarly stiff winter shoes for years. I know what you mean about not wanting to walk long distances, but they're no stiffer than combat boots and the best hiking boots, which are obviously meant to be used for extended walking.

The perceived stiffness of your Ragnarok and of my Mavic winter boots is a consequence of the fact that, unlike combat boots and hiking boots, the inner sole is not designed to provide much cushioning. Insert insoles with more cushioning and the comfort would improve, at the cost of a slight (possibly imperceptible) loss of efficiency.

I'm glad that winter cycling boots are finally being made that are stiff enough to last more than just a couple of winters. I've had two pairs of cycling boots whose soles eventually cracked, behind the cleat. Riding home with a cracked shoe sole was not pleasant.