Old 12-31-21, 05:53 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,395 Times in 895 Posts
Last one for 2021. Was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I decided to ride the North Branch Trail up to the botanic garden. I used to ride the trail a lot when I lived in Rogers Park (20 years ago!). They added a southern extension down to Albany Park and I wanted to check that out.

I took the North Shore Channel trail to get down to Albany Park. I wanted to stay off the streets as much as possible to avoid the NYE traffic.

Mysterious pipe on the Argyle St. bridge. No idea what’s in it - water/gas/poo/Tim Robbins - who knows? It’s a big-ass pipe.

Interesting relief on the front of Von Steuben HS. Studied it while I was waiting to cross Kimball.

I crossed the river on the new-ish Carmen Ave. bridge.

Miles and miles of bungalows in Albany Park.

Old rail bridge off the trail. They’ve been trying to get the right of way to put in a connecting trail. Hopefully soon…

When I got up north, there was still a little snow and it felt colder.

Green houses at the botanic garden. Would love to get a tour sometime.

Had lunch at a time-honored spot across from the Japanese garden. Very quiet and peaceful.

All told, a good day for a ride. Temps were around 40 and I banked 43 miles. We’re under a winter storm warning with up to 8” of snow expected. May not get out for a few weeks/months. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s pics for 2022 and a happy new year to all!