View Single Post
Old 01-01-22, 07:39 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 804 Posts
I have two ti bikes, a CF, a steel and an aluminum, all have aluminum wheels. I personally don't believe any material gives any sort of magical ride. It might be argued that one material is less susceptible to damage when traveling or knocking around, but that's a different story.

My bikes are:

1996 Litespeed Classic built up with a new all-CF fork (Columbus) and a mix of Sram Force and Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed parts. CF seat post and handlebars. 30mm tires
Brand new Lynskey GR300 built up with Sram AXS "Wide" Etap, CF seat post, alloy handlebars, 36mm tires
mid-80s Sannino built with 8 speed Campy, alloy seat post and handlebars. 25mm tires
10-12 year old Felt Z built with Sram Red 10 speed, CF seat post, stem, handlebars, 25mm tires
10-12 year old Jamis Nova Pro frameset built with Ultegra 9 speed triple parts, alloy seat post, stem, handlebars, 36mm tires. This bike has a full CF fork and the seat stays are CF too.

I use the same saddle on all of them, and try to get the fit dimensions as close to the same as possible, within 1/2 cm in any direction.

All are very comfortable with the steel Sannino being less so. It's a full-on criterium racing frame and, to me, feels harsher than the others. If I could get 28mm or 30mm tires on it, I think it would be right on par with the others. The others are all a toss-up for comfort and I just kind of rotate on whim.

The tires are mentioned because it's the geometry, fit, contact points, and tire size and quality that make a bike comfortable or not. My aluminum bike is perfectly comfortable. I've never felt any sort of difference in "road buzz" that can't be attributed to tire size. Second to tire size for "road buzz" might be handlbars - but that is almost all attributed to the tape, not the handlebar material.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-01-22 at 07:49 PM.