View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 11:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Absolutely! If anything, “breaking in a Brooks” is more about the rider than what the saddle does. I have Brooks saddles with nearly 20,000 miles on them that look the same as they did when they came out of the box. The one on the left is newish with only about 200 miles on it. The one on the right has roughly 15 years and 20,000 miles on it. Note that it has no dimples. You could hardly tell it was ridden except for a broken frame (since fixed)

For me, I’ve never had a “break in” period on any Brooks. They are comfortable out of the box. But I find that with any good stiff saddle, plastic or leather.
If mine had held up like that I might not have hated it. It wasn't terrible when new. It only sucked when the dimples started to form and got worse from there. I didn't think it was all that special in the beginning, but it was okay and may have grown on me. Heck, I might still be using it these 50 or so years later rather than remembering how bad it sucked when it got soft and saggy with big dimples if it had held up like yours.

I confess to mistreating it by letting it get soaked in the rain. riding it when wet and so on. That was 50 years ago and I was a reckless 20 year old. If I had trouble finding saddle comfort today I might do better with one now, but see no need to since I am very happy with lighter, cheaper, synthetic saddles that I find quite comfy and can be left out in the rain without much penalty.