Old 01-05-22, 11:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It's a yes here as I like to see the difference between moving time and stationary time on road/gravel rides. This helps me see which routes I have done are more favorable. I don't care for constantly stopping at lights, crossings, signs, or some other issues along the way. I care to ride the bike. If I want to go to a certain part of town again I can reference prior rides to see which have a better "ride vs. total" time. With autopause off, your total and ride time will equal. Then I would have to go dig into the Trainingpeaks file to see the time spent at zero cadence to figure it out. With it on, I simply find the ride and see how it got on.

Nobody cares how fast you rode, but there can be useful information from leaving the pause on.

Now, when I do cyclocross practice I do turn autopause off and manually pause it. I also have to set my lap up at a far far end of the course to avoid accidental trip of the lap. If autopause were on, there's parts of the course you may very well be zig zagging super slow and then running a barrier and autopause trips.

Just use it judiciously.

Fun back story of a guy from a group ride years back:
I kept seeing his Strava rides for the same route we all did. But he'd always be big gap short on the mileage, but the endpoints were the same. Come to find out dude set his Garmin autopause up for like 8mph. There's a few very short hills on the ride that larger riders will certainly go slower than 8mph up. So, it was pausing during those hills.