beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am considering building a lightweight endurance-geometry frame which would be more comfortable (more relaxed riding position, wider tires) for longer rides than my Workswell 066.

The question I am facing is rim brakes and deepish carbon clinchers with potentially questionable braking ability and the potential of wearing out the (rather more expensive) rim or disc brakes, in which case I could offset the weight lost with CF wheels with discs and heavier calipers. (I always seek to avoid unnecessary weight loss.)

With CF rims I can get lighter wheels for the same money--but light wheels which don't stop or don't last .... not such a bargain.

So ... does anyone here ride CF rims with caliper brakes, and how bad is it/are they?
I have Roval CL50 carbon wheels with rim break. I have had them 15 months with lots of miles. Have no issues with braking and minimum wear on the brake track of the wheels. Many factors would include how much your on the brakes, allot of downhills braking speed stops etc. I Would also say to follow the manufacturer recommended brake pads. Some wheels ask that you use a specific brake pad set. I have about 3000 miles on my wheels and I am still on the same set of brake pads. Best upgrade you can make to your bike are the wheels.