View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 12:29 AM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I used a wire brush drill attachment outdoors... good point about the eye protection though - always.

I imagine this wouldn't work so well if the glue is still gooey, but the dried up hard stuff comes off pretty well.

A wire wheel works for dried, fossilized stuff. If it's thick enough, you can sometimes crack most of it off with something like the stubby screwdriver with the broken tip (from using it as a pry bar) we all keep in the toolbox just for these situations.

If the glue still flexible, the wire wheel doesn't work as well. Use a heat gun to heat one section of the rim (between adjacent spoke holes) until the glue bubbles, them wipe it off with a disposable shop rag. Let it cool for a bit, then wipe that section again with with some VM&P naphtha on a separate rag to get the clumps off. Once you've gone all way around the rim, use a fresh rag with naphtha (no more heating needed) to remove any residual glue.

Of course, do this outdoors, use gloves and eye protection, and be careful about fire safety. And I wouldn't try this on carbon rims.

VM&P naphtha works better than acetone (too volatile). VM&P = "Varnish Maker's & Painter's". I have never met a Varnish Maker. Varnish making may be a lost art. Huffing naphtha all day can't be conducive to a long career.