Old 01-12-22, 05:10 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Don't use wingnuts on the rear. They're very difficult to get tight, and if you do they're even harder to loosen. If you went this route, axle tensioners are required. Really, wingnuts are an old school technology that look appealing but can be a liability. I've used them on the front of some fixed gears, never on the rear.
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Lowe's has a stubby 15mm wrench for under $7. Jersey pocket or under saddle bag.
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy View Post
I've used wing nuts on the front. Haven't tried them on the rear, partly because I didn't have suitable ones. I think I used a 6" adjustable wrench on the rear, and then used it for other hex fasteners on the bike too. This seems like a great opportunity to experience wingnuts front and rear, though! An adventure!!
Sounds like all good input -- perhaps simply get the 15mm wrench, and experiment with wing nuts if/when I find them and don't be too worried if they do not work out.