View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 04:27 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Glad to learn that most believe that this bike isn't at the bottom of the product line! Not sure at this point just how enthused my daughter actually is about getting it back BUT for now that's the story given to the Fun Police . Daughter has three other bikes and space is an issue. Time (and just how nice it cleans up) will tell.
I know that others gauge a Dumpster rescue's prognosis on a few critical factors, so I'll start the rehab by saying that the seat post WAS NOT fused into the seat tube! The aluminum SR seat post is marked 26.0 and I'm guessing OEM. Unfortunately, it's been "decorated" with Bubba's DIY crosshatching on about half of the exposed section. I've yet to check out the "fusion" status of the stem quill/steerer tube.
The chain will likely be replaced but I usually give them a kerosene bath followed by a soak in EvapoRust just for fun. The freewheel gets the kerosene treatment too and maybe a rebuild. The kerosene soaks can occur while I free up one of my workstands. Between recent retirement, COVID and frigid Winter weather, I seem to have plenty of free time.