Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Pity Bikes

Have you ever felt sorry for a bike and wanted to rescue it from becoming a poorly executed fixed gear perversion or yard art?

There is a sad looking Western Auto 3 speed not really local to me, but close enough I'd drive to get it if it was worth a damn. I really don't know enough about it to be sure, but I wonder if it is a rebadged Raleigh. I can't tell if it is the dangle to the angle the photos are from or if the front fork is bent and the NDS pedal is wack. Other times it has been listed, from the drive side I have seen other issues. And from any angle there are issues that can't be hidden by photography. This bike is frequently posted on facebook marketplace always at the same price making me thing the seller won't entertain lower offers. Previous times it has been posted make me believe it is at a second hand store, flea market or other thrift store type place. And each time it is posted, it seems a little more patina disappears. The $65 asking price, cables, tubes, tires, rim tape, brake pads, labor and gas money don't incline me to go look at it. But somehow, I think I would get a lot of warm and fuzzies making it ridable enough to spin around the neighborhood with the grandkids or take the short ride to the office in the evening to handle a few things.

Below is a before and after of an '84 Raleigh Competition I think was destined to become a fixed gear or single speed and the Western Auto 3 speed and I am in love with that bike. I just don't think the Western Auto would make me as happy as the Raleigh has, but I keep thinking about it. Have you ever considered a bike that made no good sense to purchase, but were attracted to it anyway? If so what was it and did the warm and fuzzies come as you hoped?

Likes For Chuck M: