View Single Post
Old 01-25-22, 09:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Refreeze ice looks like wet pavement (like the video in the OP); however, with temps below zero F, black ice does not look like wet pavement, you can't see the difference between black ice and dry pavement.

If you don't live in a place where the high temp is 0F/-18C; you're safe from black ice and this thread (and yes, I'll be going out for a ride today)
Where I lived would see a few days with sub-zero high temps every couple years. Still never heard any meteorologist make that differentiation, and that's even knowing a couple guys who were finishing their bachelors in meteorology. Even today I'm not seeing where either the AMS or NWS make such a distinction either.

I'm genuinely curious what organization developed the definition / differentiation and why current meterologists don't follow that?
This is local dialect for those that live with these conditions. Kinda like the Inuit have 40 to 50 different words for snow, but meteorologists and NWS just have one word: snow. To a meteorologist, ice is ice and to their science, there's no need to differentiate how and where it forms.

Edit: adding link to local news story on the topic: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...-temperatures/

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-25-22 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad: