View Single Post
Old 01-25-22, 03:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,424 Times in 3,698 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I finally got the tool to feed that let me clean up the threads on the crank arms so I could fit on the puller.

I put two metal straps behind the crank normally to hold a puller on. This time nothing was lining up but I'll remember your tip for sure. Thanks!
You're welcome, anytime.

I know how frustrating it can be to not have things go the way we normally get them done. As a flat rate mechanic you can really take a beating when things go south, the book and most shops don't care if you don't have the time, tool, skill or whatever, you're on the clock and the hook no matter what it takes and it comes out of your hide.

I did ok for 20 years but many other guys were faster and more butcher so they made a lot more money than I did working on Fords.

The race track drag racing motorcycles was another whole different trial by fire when things go wrong, you better be able to improvise and fix it quick or you're done for the day, weekend, whatever. Came up with some good quick fixes in 40 years of that.

Lots of workarounds and patches come out of panic situations, the key is to make them stick and win the next round.