Old 01-26-22, 10:35 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
I gave in and added aerobars to my gravel rig last summer after seeing lots of people at events - including people at the pointy end of races - with them. They do help a lot - I certainly won't ride them in a paceline or on particularly crappy gravel, but they are fantastic for, as you say, long events, for smooth sections of gravel, and for the short pavement sections.

They do add comfort, but they also are much faster. I run a shorter stem on my gravel bikes with a slightly shorter reach than my road bike to accommodate the aerobars.

I do occasionally use the gravel bike on a road group ride before work during the week (I commute on the gravel bike). The group doesn't mind if I sit on the front on the bars. They also know I'm not going to be on them in a paceline.
do you really think they are much faster? i don't do gravel but on my road bike i actually think the bars are slower compared to the drops. i know i can get much much lower when in the drops but i can stay on the bars for much longer, maybe that is the compensation?
Likes For spelger: