Old 01-27-22, 06:49 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Walmart Schwinn's, as long as you're talking $200.00 or more, are actually decent bikes if you don't mind 20 year old technology, 7-speed freewheels, and weight.
Indeed, picked up a Schwinn Ranger 24 used 18 months ago for a young relative who was spending too much time out of saddle on his 20", and as he's grown I've now got my eye out for a decent used instance of the 26 version, or similar.

Final thought: Ok, bike shop and co-op people, rather than getting on your high horse about wanting to ban Walmart bikes from the planet, how about coming up with a line of decent, serviceable derailleur equipped bikes starting at $200.00? And single speed, coaster brake cruisers that start about $125.00? With proper bike shop setup, delivery, and backup. Nothing current is necessary, bolt on wheels are fine, 7-speed freewheels and twist grip shifters are still effective, and they don't necessarily have to be Shimano. Bring these out and Walmart is no longer much of an issue, assuming you can keep the bikes in inventory, because you're cutting Walmart out of everything other than $50.00 little children's bikes. Oh, you can't do that and still make enough of a profit to keep the shop in business? Then shut up. You're not looking out for quality, you're trying to eliminate another retail outlet that undercuts you even if their quality is much poorer.
I had my own take on this last year. And I mostly agree - the thing is that a walmart will always win, because they have the logistics and the volume.

So if you want to see serviceable bikes at rock bottom prices, the solution is ultimately to work with them rather than against them.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-27-22 at 06:52 PM.