Old 01-30-22, 04:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Just because you don't understand a little humor doesn't mean .. I guess it means you're having a hard time laughing along with the point of the post.
Oh! You were making a joke! Not a good joke nor one that is really funny. Maybe you should work on the delivery.

So you do understand the point, but argue against it. LOL. You know what has a much larger effect on how 'it feels' ... the sun! I've never seen water freeze at 35F/2C and 20 mph/32kph winds; but I've seen snow and ice melt at 0F/-18C with full sun. Funny that the weather forecast never reports the feels like temp on a sunny winters day?
The problem is that you don’t understand your point. I suspect that you have seen water freeze in the shade on a day where it is 35°F with winds. You’ve probably seen water freeze without the wind blowing. The temperature is different depending on where the temperature is measured. If you were to design your experiment better, yes, you could freeze the water when the air temperature is 35°F but it would need to be insulated from other heat sources (like the air and, yes, sun). Blow wind over it and it will cool…even to the point of freezing. Put the glass in a shaded area where it doesn’t pick up as much energy from the sun and it could freeze as well.

There's no need to 'increase' wind blocking layers, if you have quality kit. I have a wind block vest and wind blocking pants, once temps get down to roughly 50F/10C (depending on the sky conditions), I wear wind blocking kit regardless of the wind chill.

You quoted, but I don't think you understood the OP:

I dressed to be comfortable at 0F/-18C, the wind conditions are not a factor.
You don’t wear different clothes when it is 30°F than when it is 0°F? Do you wear your wind blocking vest and pants when it is 30°F or only when the temps get colder? Most cyclists already wear more wind blocking layers when it is cold than people walking do. I wonder why that is?

PS - I know by posting a quoted reply, I've damned myself to repeated quoted posts until the end of time and space ... [/shrug]
So you don’t understand what a “discussion” is? You are under no obligation to respond. You are welcome to pontificate and then run off and never say anything more about the issue. I, on the other hand, like discussions. Occasionally, I learn something from them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!