View Single Post
Old 01-30-22, 07:06 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Here’s a nice green Mercian from 1978

I’m never one to leave a frame like this languishing on Craigslist if the price is right. Drove about half an hour into the suburbs to meet a very nice gentleman who had this to sell. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mercian for sale around here so I was glad he still had it when I showed up. Feel free to take a stab as to which model this is if you’d like, both I and the seller are uncertain. Top tube has some surface rust spots that need to be addressed but no dents or cracks anywhere. Frame came complete with a Campagnolo seat binder bolt and a Tange headset with Campagnolo lock nut. I believe it should have had a Mercian lock nut. Oh well, I’ll figure it out. Anyway, after looking the frame over I decided I’d purchase it. He had a few other parts to sell me too but nothing like a complete build. A set of Campy brake calipers and some Campy levers attached to Forte handlebars and a Cinelli stem. After I left his house I picked up a Brooks Pro from another seller to add to the build. The saddle is still quite hard and needs some breaking in. I’ve also got a well used but comfortable B17 in honey I may opt for instead and use the Pro elsewhere. I’m pretty excited about this frame!

Presenting the 605th frame of 1978 (if I’m understanding the serial number correctly) plus the rest of todays haul.

These pieces, along with the Campagnolo parts from a too small for me 1972 Raleigh International, should make for a serviceable build but I’ve also got these Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and Power shift levers along with a 14/34 six speed Suntour Perfect freewheel I could use instead, it’s rather heavy. These are parts I had been saving for a new build on my other International from 75 that fits me, this may be a better place to put those parts. I’ve got some decisions to make. I’ve also got a completely original 1975 Raleigh Competition with a bent frame that I could use the parts from (Huret Jubile derailleurs and Normandy Luxe Competition hubs and such).

When it comes to wheels I’ve got a couple of choices: A set of 32 hole Campagnolo small flange hubs laced to Mavic G-40 gray clincher rims that came to me with a Regina CX-S 7 speed freewheel.

I need to clean these wheels and refresh the grease but both are spinning beautifully.

Or, I could switch the above wheels with the set that’s currently on my nice fitting International which are Campagnolo 36 hole high flange Tipo with kidney bean cutouts (circa 1972/73 Motobecane) with plain silver color box clincher rims.
These wheels need cleaned but have freshly packed bearings already.

Or, I could use Normandy Luxe Competition wheels from the bent Raleigh Competition. 36 hole silver box tubulars. I would need to glue on some new tires because the 25mm Continental Gatorskins are just not nice enough. I do love riding tubulars.

Maybe not the best wheel choices for touring but they’re what I’ve got for now. I’ve got a couple of other options in parts but I’ve got too many other wheels to build and won’t get around to building a set for this project anytime soon. One of these will have to do.

As for the crankset, I have the Campy set from the International 53/42 or Stronglight 93 52/42 either of which will work for now here in flat Minnesota, but I really need to buy a triple for either the International or the Mercian, whichever gets the Suntour setup. I’d like to do some traveling. Any build suggestions are certainly welcome.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 02-19-22 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau: