Old 01-31-22, 04:13 PM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
This thread has kicked around for some years and I've not gone back and reread all the posts so what follows may be simply rehashing previous info:

For those using an MSR Whisperlite (reliable, field serviceable, rugged, powerful, loud, cheap to operate, and despite camping lore capable of simmering) they do make a replaceable fuel jet - which is a tiny lightweight part - made specifically for use with standard automobile gasoline not white gas. The In fact a variant model called the 'MSR Whisperlite International' includes the auxiliary jet to permit it to burn white gas, kerosene, and unleaded auto fuel.

When I am doing long term camping at an area (aka a 'dig in') I typically buy a gallon of white gas. However, when moving about I use gasoline purchased at the gas station pump because it's available anywhere there's cars so it's ubiquitous and cheap. The only tradeoff is that it burns dirtier than white gas so pot bottoms may get more soot and one will likely need to clean the jet orifice more often (but with the modern 'shaker jet' version of the Whisperlite this task is easy and involves simply shaking the stove before firing it up each time). Despite the advent and convenience of the shaker jet technology I highly advise owning and bringing the auxiliary jet cleaning tool (which weights next to nothing) esp. when using standard auto fuel. Other than incorrect fuel bottle pressurization, a dirty or obstructed jet is the most likely cause of poor performance for this stove. It's also a good idea to carry a few small 'O' rings for the pump (either from an MSR maintenance/rebuild kit or from a good camping store's tackle box of spare parts kept behind the counter). Also, a few drops of oil on the pump's plunger cup if/when needed. Armed in such a manner this stove will serve a lifetime.

If you're comfortable with the weight, performance, and cost of this stove + bottle system it can be operated very cheaply with standard gasoline that's always available (even without gas stations you can siphon it from a car). If price is a concern I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one as they are durable and even if beat up they can perform well and they have been produced in huge quantities (disassemble & clean it, by soaking the jets metal parts, replace any worn out 'O' rings, bend the wire legs if thy've been distorted). MSR also has a very solid track record for warranty and repair.
Two things...
1. The special jet is for kerosene. White gas and gasoline use the same jet. At least that is my understanding. I am pretty sure that is what the literature with my whisperlite interntional said.
2. Many (most? all?) cars these days have a baffle that makes it hard to impossible to siphon gas out of them. Gas is still very available though, but I wouldn't rely on siphoning out of a car.

Gasoline does have additives that may be best avoided if possible. I don't worry too much about that and just make it a point to use the stove in the open where the fumes will dissapate quickly. I do use white gas or naptha rather than gasoline when it is available and consider gasoline a fall back plan especialy on my SVEA 123 which isn't officially rated for it. With the whisperlight I am more likely to use gasoline, but still prefer white gas.
Likes For staehpj1: