Old 02-02-22, 12:20 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
11-13 jump. I ride the Portland hills some days, the flats others. My 9-speed cassettes are mostly set up 12-14,15 ,,, On the flat a 50 something-14 is just fine. (I do very little group riding.) That 2 tooth jump to have a big one for fast descents is very nice and it is sometime useful to have to quiet the bike. On rollers, maybe up to 13 will work for you and you could use the 11 as a slow RPM hill-like condition.
Yeah, that definitely makes sense I just haven't seen a cassette set up that way before.

As for getting a hill-like condition on the rollers I've got fast (conti 4000 700x23) and slow (kenda kwick roller sport 700x32) tires for the rollers. A complete set of fast tires is almost twice as fast on the rollers as a complete set of slow tires at the same power output so I can create different resistance levels based on the tires I've got on there (and can at least swap the front tires quickly as I've got one wheel with a fast tire and one with a slow tire). On super easy recovery days I can have both fast tires on, put out less than 100 watts and still manage to stay upright even with my poor balance.