View Single Post
Old 02-04-22, 02:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
I was unaware that lighter fluid worked like white gas. Thanks for the insight.

The last time I flew with a liquid fuel stove was 2016, I decided it is too much of a hassle, from now on only using a butane type stove when I fly.

I tried Kingsford charcoal lighter in one of my kerosene stoves, worked fine but I only tried it once at home. Since I have a big can of kerosene, I do not plan to use it, it was only an experiment to see if it would work.

My Primus Omnifuel stove claims to work on diesel. Maybe it works on diesel number 1, but it worked like crap with diesel number 2, so I would avoid that.

There are some farm oriented stores near me that sell kerosene at the pump. Last time I bought some it was about $3.50 a gallon, that was a couple years ago, pre-covid. But I do not know if they have any special rules for the container, I have a 5 gallon container labeled for kerosene so I did not check the rules. I assume all states have the same rules for container labeling, such as gasoline is in a red container, kerosene is NOT in a red container, etc. I find that my stoves work best when I am burning kerosene if they have a mix with about three parts kerosene and one part white gas. The generator seems to heat up faster and there is a bit less soot on the pots. But I have never used a Whisperlight, so I have no clue if that is the case. A friend of mine wanted us to use his Whisperlight on our Pacific Coast tour, which we did. His worked ok on kerosene, but it took a long time to prime. And the hose had a leak in it, so a steady drip of kerosene came out of the hose between the pump and stove.

For about a decade now I have weighed my fuel at the start of a trip and weighed the left over later, from that calculated a grams per day per person number for each trip. They vary widely, some of my stoves are more fuel efficient, and some trips had a lot of restaurant meals. The trip with the Whisperlight, that we did not weigh so that trip does not count. And I just counted grams, did not differentiate between butane, kerosene or white gas. Average was 40.7, median was 38.0, the most was 56 and the least was 27 grams per person per day. This includes bike tours, canoe trips, kayak trips, backpacking trips. To make sure I do not run out, if it is a short enough trip that I do not plan to re-supply later, I usually leave home with about 65 grams per person per day, as that is more than any of my prior trips consumed.