Old 02-05-22, 01:23 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,064 Posts
I went out on my first ride of 2022 on my full-on Eroica bike today. Most of the year, I run it with SPDs instead of clips and straps instead of SPDs. Only 11 miles, but with a significant climb to start and a significant descent to finish. It went . . . okay.

Within a quarter mile of starting out, I friction-shifted the chain into the Never-Never Land between the inner rear cog and the spokes - that was user error, easily corrected. Otherwise, readjusting to friction will went reasonably well - the Suntour power ratchet barcons and the Deore RD play very nicely together and it felt pretty natural pretty quickly.

The brakes are fine. I'm now running Universal 61s with KoolStop pads and using aero levers (basically Campy 10sp Ergos with the guts removed) and that set-up is more than adequate. This is a major improvement over Universal 51s, which are pretty much beyond redemption on any ride with a downhill steeper than 1% and only just barely acceptable on the flats.

But I was reminded why, except for Eroica (and Cino, if I ever get there), I have never looked back in the over 25 years since I went to SPDs. When I started out today, I thought "clips and straps just plain suck" and wondered how I ever functioned with them. In the summer of 1980, I rode across the US using clips, straps, and cleated Detto Pietros, so at one time I was pretty good with them. Now - not so much. By the end of the ride, I had calmed down to merely thinking clips and straps are annoying as heck. It will get better as I relearn the trick to spinning the pedals around just right to get the second foot in, but I will still wish for my spuds

I am signed up for the Piedro Blancas route, so it's not like I have to be ready for anything too epic, but it's good to start getting the feel for the bike. By the end of April, all will be well.