Old 02-05-22, 09:21 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Jet size is related to the chemical composition of the fuel, as the air to fuel ratio is different with different jets. Smaller jet uses more air.

Some stoves claim that one jet works for both white gas and kerosene, example Optimus Nova. But I have had rather poor luck with trying straight kerosene in my Nova.
Yep, just like jetting in a carb.

I have read of folks claiming they actually preferred the results with the white gas jet when burinng kero. Some claimed less sooting and a bluer flame. Pretty easy to chalk up any advantage to just being their personal impression, but at least it can be assumed that they were successful in burning it. Elevation will have some effect on it too. So that could be a factor in comparing folks results.

Smaller jets for higher elevation is the rule if I remember correctly. So that would make using the smaller kero jet more important at higher elevations. At sea level you would be more likely to get by with the larger white gas jet. Or am I getting something backwards?

I know jetting isn't super critical on a camp stove, but if you were already marginal and went from sea level to 14k feet I bet it could make a real issue.

Last edited by staehpj1; 02-05-22 at 09:29 AM.