View Single Post
Old 02-07-22, 11:34 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
One thing I don’t really see much around here are shops/stores that cater to a broader spectrum of endurance sports.

Knowing nothing about the industry, I’d assume a specialty running, swim and bike shop would do well. Maybe I’m nuts.
There have been a few of these in my area (Chicago). I think all have closed.

There was a big one (Running Away Multisport) that organized and/or sponsored a bunch of local triathlons & running races and had at least two shops. I don't know the details of what happened, but in terms of their shop - they were mostly selling running shoes/clothing, swim gear, and triathlon specific accessories. They sold a few bikes and had a service department, but I don't think it was their main thing. They did do a lot of of bike fitting and I recall them being one of the first in the area doing computerized bike fits. They also had some computerized/video running analysis stuff.

The other shops I recall were more bike and service focused. I think branding a shop as a "triathlon store" is definitely going to narrow your customer base to those who are serious hardcore triathletes. There's definitely a market out there... just look at the popularity of IM races. That said, I think roadies will always want a serious bike-focused shop (and the roadie cycling snob culture makes fun of triathlon in general). On the flip side, casual/recreational cyclists, even those dipping their toe into the triathlon waters, are usually not starting with a triathlon specific bike. Anyone looking to buy a kids/commuter or MTB bike isn't going to just look for a bike shop.