View Single Post
Old 02-08-22, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10525 Post(s)
Liked 12,098 Times in 6,193 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
(yes I know this is mostly a zombie thread. I didn't want to start a new thread, though....)

Does anybody have an inkling as to why I'm getting such wildly different numbers on Strava for energy (kJ) and calories here? The two should be close, so I'm guessing that Strava is getting the numbers from different places (i.e., taking the calories directly from Wahoo, calculating the work by its own algorithm, or vice versa)?

This is a winter ride, so no power meter on that bike, it's just HR data, recorded on my Wahoo Element and transferred to Strava.

This mismatch is typical of what I get on my winter rig. On the road bike with the power meter, the values are in much better congruence.

(I know calorie burn from HR data has low accuracy - I'm not asking that question. The work calculation should have similarly low accuracy, but in any consistent calculation, they should closely match.)
Yeah, your Calories seem out of whack. I just checked my Sunday ride, which is in many respects similar to yours - HR average and max within a couple beats, mileage within 2 - but with 2000 feet more climbing and a higher average speed. But higher I got a higher estimated Kj and over 1000 LOWER estimated Calories.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles