Old 02-10-22, 08:02 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Yes this is an old thread, but I wonder if any respondents really noticed what the OP was describing.

I was idly wondering about obtaining a TA handlebar cage like the one I had on my '70s Romana long ago, partly because I thought it looked old-school even then. This one:

This particular NOS one with the label still attached is marked down from $275 to $219 now, due to end soon. A used one is listed at $123. I'm sorry, but this is nuts. Damn Darn the self-glorification exercise that is Eroica. A frenzy of one-upmanship that they charge you money to participate! I glanced at the California Eroica web page, and discovered that wearing sunglasses was frowned upon. Not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I took part, but I have no desire at this point. And prices like these are what comes of it, IMO.
The T.A. handlebar cages are great! I bought one back in the 70's, and then picked up a couple more about 20 years ago. The price was closer to $40 twenty years ago. Until someone starts producing replicas, or demand drops, I don't see why the price wouldn't keep going higher. Maybe this will provide the incentive for Nitto to copy the design in stainless steel rod??

I don't do Eroica, but do still use these bar cages on three bikes.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: