Old 02-10-22, 03:25 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Cotton with synthetics in is MUCH more environmentally friendly than lycra?
It isn't "cotton with synthetics in it". It is cotton that has been processed to enhance its ability to wick moisture. Some of that is in the spinning and weaving process

Originally Posted by Branko D
I remain unconvinced. I mean, we're talking modern agriculture then shipping it to China where they make the modern cotton with synthetics in
​​​​​​ then shipping it somewhere where labour is cheap for the actual tailoring bit then back to you.
Again, it isn't "cotton with synthetics in it". We're comparing natural fibers to oil based fibers like polyester/lycra/spandex. Cotton is still biodegradeable and doesn't release microfibers into the water the way polyester and related fabrics do. And, of course, synthetic fabrics get shipped around the world just like natural fibers do. But we are working to rebuild the US textile industry, and domestic spinning is increasing each year. As I type this, I'm wearing jeans and a shirt that were grown and sewn in the US. No trip to China required.

Mind you, I'm still kitted out in Lycra/spandex/polyester when I ride enough for sweat/aero considerations to be a factor. But I opt for natural fibers for more casual rides, and am hopeful that as technology improves, cotton, wool, and silk can rival oil based fabrics for stretch, wicking, and aerodynamics.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton