View Single Post
Old 02-12-22, 07:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
That site you cited has not functioned well for a long time. A few months ago I tried to download a map and was told that I was in the queue and I could expect to be notified my map was ready in over 300 days.

Smaller than USA but bigger than one state. This is topo street maps, not bike maps. Thus, work better for a car. But sometimes it works for bike paths, so this might work for you. Contour lines were created using the metric system, so contours are a bit odd, for example 902 and 984 feet are not normal contour intervals.
USA OSM Topo Routable | GMapTool

Routing across a border to another map might not work, probably have to create a waypoint on the border to include in a route.

Months ago I recall reading that this site would be shutting down soon, for car routing, but looks like it is functional. Also breaks up USA into a few maps. Because this site might disappear, recently I loaded the maps from that site that I might want some day, for example Canada.
https://www.openmapchest.org/

I use my GPS for a lot of non-cycling things, like backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and occasionally for driving. So, I like to have a wide choice of base maps in my GPS, depending on activity I am doing.