View Single Post
Old 02-12-22, 11:12 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 900 Posts
Saturday afternoon, I took the 1987 GT Karakoram, rolling on studded Nokian W240s, and rode East.

This was the last of several thaw days, and much of the recently arrived snow and ice had already melted away. The streets were wet in places, dry in others, and snow, ice, or slush were occasionally sufficiently present on the margins of the road that I was glad of the Nokians in case the exigencies of traffic forced me unexpectedly onto a glacier. This didn't happen, as it developed, but by this time in the season I've become fond of the merry crackling sound the studs make on dry pavement, even if it gets me a few extra challenge barks from the neighborhood dogs.

I encountered a new (to me) sign on the Northern Strand Community Trail, at its intersection with Medford Street, Malden, across the street from Bell Rock Cemetery. Boston this way, Lynn that way. I like it!

The ride proceeded on its normal round of hills and traffic, sunny with temperatures in the balmy upper 50s. As afternoon became evening, a cooling NW wind picked up, putting warming hill climbs at a premium, and helpfully offering to steer the bike, an offer which I politely declined. Both the wind and the subsequent falling temperatures presaged an end to the thaw and a return to Winter norms. Drat!

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 02-13-22 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: